Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 23, 2011

Perspsective Part 1

At the end of the day, I get to come home to my husband and my baby boy. This has become what I am calling "family therapy" which to mean means that my family provides me therapy just by being.

Craziness has been swirling at work - academia can be such a strange and wonderful place, but sometimes just down-right annoying and angering! I declared out loud that if things didn't work out for me (I'm not yet tenured) I wouldn't mind working at Target and Starbucks (2 of my favorite stores...the new Target by my house has a Starbucks inside).  The spring semester is winding down (well, it's over really because summer school started today) and I'm feeling more and more like I should find a way to be a stay-at-home mom and wife!

There's also extended family craziness, but isn't there always?

Ngwa attended his first birthday party - see picture. He seemed overwhelmed by it all, but did not run away from Elmo. He flirted with 2 little girls - a red head and a cute brunette! LOL! So at the end of a week of craziness which is ushering in another week of madness, I got to take my son to his first birthday party. It was sheer joy and i am trying to live in and cherish these moments!

This is Ngwa and mommy, Tommy and Laurie (fellow UCSB alum and www.thefamilythatlaughstogether.blogspot.com)

2 comments:

  1. So true Shannon and well written. Thank you and Ngwa for coming to the party. His smile makes me happy and everyone he meets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you call yourself Mami Ngwa! I work in Tanzania and women there are called Mama "name of first child". I love it and look forward to the next time I go back when everyone will call me Mama Maddy. What does Ngwa mean?

    Oh, and I totally get you on the "if I don't get tenure I'm working at Starbucks". That was EXACTLY my backup plan! I kid you not. There is a Starbucks about a block away from my office and I kept telling my grad students that they could come visit me there...

    ReplyDelete