Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 27, 2011

Calgon Take Me Away

Does anyone remember the "Calgon take me away" commercials? That's how I feel today!

Summer in New England is BUSY! After months of being stuck inside or being limited to outdoor activities because of snow, etc. there is A LOT to do in the summer. Our weekends are packed with more than 2 invitations for events (weddings, graduations, cook-outs, etc.).  In the African community each event requires cooking something to bring and share (no cheese and crackers or fruit platters for this crowd).  So I find myself cooking twice a weekend for some event. I enjoy it and like to contribute to my friend's lives in this way, but with a 7 month old it is often a bit much.

AND as soon as we thought we had our son's sleeping patterns, etc. figured out he had the audacity (ha-ha-ha) to begin to grow 4 teeth at the same time (this has kept him up or kept him waking up for the last 3 nights).

Did I mention that my niece had an 8 a.m. flight to San Fran to start her new job at Google?

*sigh* and "AAHHH" all at once!

So my scholarship work that needs to get done as I enter the 2 years before tenure is not really getting done. I'm slightly nervous, but always go back to "I don't mind having to work at Target and Starbucks."  I'm barely keeping up with the grading for my intensive 6 week summer school class...and trying to prep for the next 6 week summer school class (both of which I'm teaching so we can feel comfortable financially given our new precious family member). 

I want to set a good example for my baby son (women can work and be good mommies and wives), but right now I feel as if I'm not balancing all of this well (didn't I already write a post about this? LOL) My friend told me today that after the 1st year the balancing gets easier....really? I hope so!

I stayed up late on Saturday (2 a.m.) just to relax my hair (Rosanna - that's for you!). My hubby is almost finished with the new bathroom downstairs and I'd love to take a long soak with bubble and wine....right after the baby stops teething and refusing to eat (that's the last 24 hours).

In related news - we're preparing for our car trip to D.C. and Atlanta. I'm frantic about having all the appropriate baby gear and enough food (how do I keep the milk cold), diapers, etc. What can we buy once there as opposed to lugging with us? Will he survive the long drive? Will we survive? I'm looking forward to all the family time but so anxious about the packing!!!

Anyway...I am really loving my new role as mommy! Baby Ngwa is so precious and easy to love. He's become incredibly active and strong! It is already difficult to keep up with him and he's not even walking yet, although I see that right around the corner.

I need to transfer photos from iphone to email so I can post the latest.....stay tuned.....

3 comments:

  1. We used small coolers with the little blue ice packs to keep bottles cold. Also, are you using powdered formula? I can't remember. If so, we just took bottle water and then mixed the powder in when we needed it. Also, we only packed enough diapers, food, etc for a couple of days and then went to the store whenever we got there. Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally remember those commercials! That must have been one of the best all-time advertisements.

    Good to hear you got a little "me" time even though it was, unfortunately, at 2am. That does suck, since I know just how tired you must have been the next day. I have lain on my bed beside Mads seriously wishing her to nap with me. Never seems to work, but luckily she is really cute so I eventually rally.

    Good luck with the packing. I am headed to my parents at the end of July for about 12 days and am really nervous about packing and the logistics of flying. When we drove down to see my mother-in-law when Mads was about 2 weeks old the car was packed to the roof with stuff. I had no idea what I'd need so I basically took everything. That was a bit excessive, seeing as how we have an SUV... I'm sure you'll do better than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how, but somehow everything works out... work deadlines, happy babies and mommy (most days). Good to see you posting on the blog again ;)

    ReplyDelete